Even though it’s the preferred method of communication these days, texting can be pretty nerve-wracking. Sure, it’s an easy way to communicate with people, but because there’s no strict set of rules or agreed upon etiquette it’s often hard to get right.
1. Respect. Respect is the aspect of every single relationship *romantic or not* that makes things work. Without respect, a relationship cannot last. Although this should be a non-negotiable for everyone, it can be a hard thing to admit to yourself.
Eye contact is key
You can tell so much about a person and a situation by paying attention to eye contact. We know that we are supposed to hold eye contact in a job interview, and when you’re meeting a new person, and when your friend is talking to you, and as much as possible on a first date. But it’s even bigger than that. If you are in a group of people, if you pay attention to who is looking at you — making that eye contact — a lot, you may be onto something. Eye contact really is key when it comes to deciphering whether or not sexual tension is heating up. Do you keep catching that cutie across the bar looking at you? Does he not break eye contact when you catch his? That’s a great sign.
1. Hear them. Before you can listen, you have to be aware that your partner is talking to you. If you are busy and you hear them talking to you, stop what you are doing and talk to them. If you can’t do that, tell them that you will be with them shortly. Miscommunication happens when a person is too wrapped up in what they are doing and then fail to realise that their partner is talking to them.
1. They will always be honest. You may think all friends or at least all good friends are honest. But that isn’t always the case. A blunt person, however, will always be honest even brutally so if need be.
1. They’re expert text decoders. Women often try to interpret the seemingly straightforward but possibly subtly cryptic texts they get from guys. Why isn’t there a smiley face? Why did he say “hey there” instead of just “hi”? Why did he take three hours to respond to your text? Your girlfriends can be speculating about all sorts of scenarios and hidden meanings behind these texts.
1. She is hot. Yes, unless she is half ogre, he likely thinks her attractive. But that is no reason to worry or freak out. You can be attracted to someone without ever acting on it and without having actual romantic feelings. Unless he is a cheater, he can think someone is hot without acting on it. I’m sure you do it all the time.
If you start noticing little things out of the ordinary about your guy friend and feel the need to ask yourself, “Does my guy friend like me?” you may feel panic stricken. But have no fear!
If you’re feeling a disconnect from your partner, you may start to feel like they are embarrassed of you, even if they’re just navigating their own social hangups. But, if you’re really feeling like your significant other is embarrassed by you, here are a few signs that it might be time to talk about it.
1. THEY DON’T REALLY LISTEN WHEN YOU TALK
When you’re talking to your date, pay attention to the quality of the conversation, particularly how much effort they’re making to get to know you and how willing they are to go beyond just surface-level small talk. If they are half-listening to what you say and may try to interrupt you by touching you or changing the subject, especially if the conversation veers into more emotionally vulnerable territory then this is a sign that they are not interested in anything beyond sex.