Your standard mushrooms-on-toast gets an upgrade with lashings of fresh green pesto, sundried tomatoes and oozing melted mozzarella. This dish makes an indulgent Sunday breakfast in bed but it can just as easily lapse into a lazy vegetarian lunch or perhaps a quick, meatless weeknight dinner. And remember, the fresher the mushrooms, the better.
- 4 large field mushrooms, stalks removed
- 12 sundried tomatoes in oil from a jar, drained, with 2 tbsp oil reserved
- 1 x 30g pack basil, leaves picked
- 1 x 150g mozzarella, drained and torn
- 4 slices sourdough bread, grilled
- 4 tbsp vegetarian fresh green pesto
- 1 x 70g bag wild rocket
- Preheat the grill to medium. Brush the mushrooms with the reserved sundried tomato oil and season. Spread mushrooms out on a baking sheet, with the underside (gill-side) facing down. Grill for 3-4 minutes and then flip the mushrooms over and grill for a further 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened. Drain away any liquid from the mushrooms.
- Put 3 sundried tomatoes, a couple of basil leaves and a quarter of the torn mozzarella on each mushroom. Return to the grill for 2-3 minutes, until the mozzarella has melted.
- Serve each mushroom on a slice of grilled sourdough with the pesto spooned over and the remaining basil leaves and rocket on the side.