1. Figure out why you have a crush on them. You need to figure out why you like them. It could be that you’re just bored of your life right now and find this to be the thing that spices it up. I don’t know what the reason is, but I know that you do. You just now have to be honest with yourself – that is, if you actually want to get over your crush.
2. Stop talking about it with coworkers. Listen, if I know anything, it’s that gossip spreads like wildfire around the office. So, if you’re talking to some people about your crush on a coworker, you can bet your life that people are going to find out about it.
I mean, work is boring, so this is some entertainment for everyone to sit and watch while they’re counting the hours until they can go home. But this also means that there’s a higher chance of your boss finding out as well.
3. Cut back on spending time with them outside of work. Hanging out with your coworkers is fine, but if you’re spending all your free time with them, then maybe it’s time you branched out and hung out with some other people, you know, people who aren’t your crush.
You want to eliminate the extra time that you spend with them and keep it to a minimum. You should only see them when you actually have a valid work-related reason to see them. At least until you move on from them.
4. Look at your own relationship with your partner *if you have one*. Is there something in your own personal relationship, that is, if you’re with someone already, that’s making you have a wandering eye? The first thing you should be doing is looking at that.
Maybe you have some issues within your relationship that you need to pay attention to. Now, if you’re just bored at work and need some entertainment, and you’re single, well, that’s different.
5. Focus your attention on hobbies outside of work. When you leave work, there’ll be some times when all you’re going to do is think about them. What they said to you that day, what they wore, who they spoke to – you know, stupid shit that we all waste our time on.
But if your evenings are packed with activities, then you don’t really give yourself an opportunity to sit and dwell on this drama that you created in your head.
6. Distract yourself. If you’re at work, well, you should be focusing on your work instead of obsessing over them from across the room. I know you probably don’t want to work more than you already are, but by keeping yourself busy at work, you have less time to think or talk to them.
Keep your mind busy with other things. If you don’t want to work, surf the web, but stay away from their social media.
7. Set personal boundaries at work. If you see this person every day, getting over them is going to be hard. What you need to do is set yourself personal boundaries.
If you usually eat lunch with them, stop. If you spend your coffee breaks chatting with them, maybe find someone else to talk to. You basically need to wean yourself off of that person – having a crush is an addiction, so, consider this your rehab.