There are many ways to take care of yourself as a woman that goes far beyond this list you’re about to read, but these are the things that have helped me from my teen years and far into womanhood. Hopefully, they’ll help you too.
These small tasks, relaxation techniques, and more will leave you feeling good, looking good, and being happier overall. The better you take care of you, the better everyone is.
1. Sleep. Yes, this is part of human survival, but seriously, it is an important part of self care. We need a certain amount of sleep to function at our best ability. And staying on Instagram until two am and then waking up at six am to catch the train does not create a sustainable sleeping pattern.
2. Drink water. This is another life necessity, but it does more than keep your hydrated. Not only does drinking a decent amount of water every day keep your skin clear and glowing, but it helps you function better. Whenever you feel thirsty, you are already slightly dehydrated. So mostly you are not drinking enough.
3. Make time for hobbies. I know you are busy. We all are. There is always something to do: go grocery shopping, do laundry, pay bills, etc. But make sure you are carving out some time for the things you love to do.
Reading, painting, cooking, whatever it may be, don’t put it on the back burner. This is something you enjoy doing, therefore it makes you happy. Self-care is about more than health, it is about your overall well being. So do everything you can do to enjoy every minute.
4. Make time for nothing. This may sound odd. Who wants to do nothing? Well, that is the whole point. Do you ever find yourself just sitting on your bed after a shower and before you know it, an hour went by and you have done nothing but sit and stare into space?
Well, your body needed that break from life. If you don’t just do nothing sometimes, you will stretch yourself too thin and be exhausted mentally, physically, and emotionally. Schedule time where you have nothing to do, and just do that.
5. Go outside. You probably go outside every day, right? You walk to your car, you run errands, you take out the trash, but that does not count. We put up with so much crap each and every day. From misogyny to sexism and more, we deserve to breathe in some fresh air.
So head outside. Take a walk, eat lunch in the park, or have your morning coffee outside instead of sitting at the kitchen table scrolling through your phone. Being outside helps us slow down and enjoy nature. We need a step back from everything sometimes.