A rich marinade and mouthwateringly sticky glaze gives these tender chicken thighs their wow factor. Scattered with tart pomegranate jewels and fragrant coriander, they are a heavenly meal to rustle up midweek.
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1kg (2lb) chicken thighs on the bone, skin on
- 2 red onions, cut into small wedges
- 80g (3oz) pomegranate seeds
- 30g (1 1/4oz) walnuts, bashed into a coarse rubble
- small handful roughly chopped coriander leaves
- Mix the pomegranate molasses, olive oil, tomato purée, sugar, cinnamon, black pepper and pinch of salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken and onions and mix well so that everything gets completely coated in the marinade. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Remove the chicken from the fridge and bring to room temperature while the oven heats. Tip into a roasting tin and roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender, with no pink meat showing.
- Transfer to a serving dish and spoon over the sticky juices from the tin. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds, walnuts and coriander. Serve immediately.