There are many ways to be funny. But there are three traits you can add into your communication which will always work, without making it seem like you’re trying too hard. Use any or all of these three types of humor in your conversation and you’ll always leave people around you in splits.
1. Sex. If someone around you says something, try to find a hidden meaning that can be related to sex. And answer back to the question or the comment keeping the sexual reference in mind. It doesn’t have to be obvious, but others have to get what you mean.
2. Sarcasm. This is where you answer a question back with a serious face, but you say something that’s actually really funny.
3. Self deprecation. This isn’t one of the best types of humor to use, but it does work. This is the kind of humor where you put yourself down in front of someone else in a funny way, especially when you’ve done something wrong. Think Hugh Grant in all his funny chick flicks and you’ll know what I mean.
But a word of caution here, use self deprecating humor only around people you’re close to, or others may think you’re a weak character who has low self esteem and can be pushed around. After all, you can’t constantly push yourself down and expect others to think you’re a class act.
The kinds of humor to avoid
If you’re trying to be funny, you can say whatever you like, but try to avoid crossing the thin line which can make your joke go from funny to uncomfortable.
1. Demeaning jokes. Don’t ridicule someone else in a conversation just to make others laugh. It may work for a line or two, but others around you may just start to feel awkward about the whole thing very soon. This works in standup comedy, and not always in real life.
2. Mimicry. Mimicking a friend who’s not around may be a laugh at first. But others may think of you as a rude person who doesn’t care about other people’s feelings. It’s just not funny, unless that person you’re making fun of is around and able to defend themselves by mimicking you or ridiculing you.