Anxiety is natural when you fear losing something, but don’t let it overcome you and lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy, or, even worse, sabotage your new relationship. Take a breath, relax, and take it day by day. Stop thinking about where your relationship is going, and just enjoy the here and now no matter where it takes you.
1. Realize that nothing lasts forever. Unfortunately, there is nothing in life that is certain. Stop predicting if you will make it in a relationship with your new love or if it will end.
There is no way to control the future, so stop trying and just live in the moment. Enjoy whatever time you have together. Don’t spend it worrying about what you might lose.
2. Let go of your past. Most of the time anxiety stems from experience. If you had a rough time in a previous relationship then the fear of heartbreak and rejection is a huge motivating force driving your new relationship anxiety.
Whatever happened in the past, leave it in the past and move forward. Until someone develops a time machine, the only thing that you can change is the future. So, leave what is behind you behind you. Don’t let it taint the here and now.
3. Don’t put too many eggs in one basket. Sometimes when we get too close too quickly, we become super dependent. The anxiety of losing something becomes greater. In new relationships, it is easy to isolate yourself. Then, one day you look around and feel like all you have is the person you are dating.
That makes you pretty anxious about losing them. To make sure you aren’t limiting other relationships and making yourself feel dependent, stay in touch with your friends and don’t stop doing the things that you love.
4. Be you and don’t hide pieces away. When you start a new relationship, everyone is on their best behavior. The problem is sometimes it isn’t really who we are. And, if you fight to keep the new relationship face too hard, it makes you feel like a fake.
When someone feels like a fake, it brings on a whole lot of anxiety. It is okay to be a better version of yourself during the beginning parts of your relationship, but it also is important to still be you. Express what you want, and what you don’t. Otherwise, you won’t feel genuine, leaving you feeling anxious.
5. Have the attitude if it works, it is meant to be. Fate is a pretty incredible thing, yet, at the same time very hard to accept. To do away with new relationship anxiety, go into the relationship knowing that sometimes what we want and what is good for us, or meant to be, are not the same thing.
Fate will do what fate wants. So, adopt the attitude that if it doesn’t work, then it wasn’t meant to be. That way, you won’t worry so much about losing your new love. If it doesn’t work, you believe something better is out there waiting for you.