1. They will always be honest. You may think all friends or at least all good friends are honest. But that isn’t always the case. A blunt person, however, will always be honest even brutally so if need be.
If you are dating someone who is clearly lying to you or disrespecting you, your blunt friend will tell you the flat-out truth. They have no problem being the bearer of bad news, if it is news you need to hear.
2. They won’t let you dwell. After a breakup, letting it all out is good. Cry, eat ice cream, watch romcoms, but when the time comes you need to get up and move on.
A blunt person won’t let you dwell in sadness. They will make sure you stay busy and tell how much you deserve better.
3. They will push you. A blunt person won’t just listen to your dreams, but they will push you to make them a reality. If you are hesitant to move for your dream job or take a risk for something you truly want, they will push you to be truly happy.
It is nice to have friends that listen and support you, but a blunt person in your life to give you that push you need is irreplaceable.
4. They won’t let you settle. We have all taken a job where we were underpaid. We have all been in a relationship where we were underappreciated. But a blunt person won’t just sit around while you waste all you have to offer somewhere or with someone that isn’t good enough.
A blunt person will remind you of everything you are capable of.
5. They challenge you. Some people love having friends that just let them be. They love being around people who are agreeable. But, sometimes, having a blunt person around can be exactly what you need. They get you to learn new things, try new things, and always keep getting better.
A blunt person will be the devil’s advocate and question you and really make you think hard about your decisions.
6. They won’t say I told you so. Okay, okay, maybe this is just me. There are plenty of blunt people who say I told you so, but the blunt people that are decent human beings won’t.
They will tell you how it is, give you their perspective, and share all they can, but they also know how to step back and let you make up your own mind. And even if they turned out to be right, they won’t rub it in. They said their piece and support you no matter what.
7. They listen. A blunt person doesn’t just toss out advice at the drop of a hat. They don’t just spew advice at you until you obey. A blunt person likes to collect all the facts before offering a solution or opinion.
That is what makes a blunt person such a good listener. They won’t cut you off or talk over you. They will take everything you say into consideration before giving their full blunt response.